Re: Background mail transfers

Barry Samuels <bsamuels@datamansys.co.uk> writes:

> I normally work within a window manager environment (mostly KDE) when
> using Debian Potato and have used KMail to download mail directly from my
> ISP pop3 accounts.
>
> I recently decided to setup fetchmail to poll my pop3 mail servers in the
> background, download any waiting mail and pass it on to procmail for
> sorting into appropriate folders and then access these folders using KMail.
>
> This works well but I have realised recently that, because this is now
> happening in the background, if I disconnect from my ISP without
> thinking I can cut a mail download off in mid-stream. I have half an
> e-mail to prove it.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to prevent this apart from running Fetchmail
> manually?
>
> Barry Samuels

You can set up a script /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ZZZ so that it will be
executed when any other script has finished, something like

#!/bin/sh
wall /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/done-message

wall will display the contents of /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/done-message as
broadcast msg from root on the consoles. You could also play a sound
if you like.

Andre