Re: 2gig file

> Actually, I think there are a whole LOT of issues with file
> sizes > 2GB on ext2 and 32-bit machines. Best place to look for an
> explanation would be a searchable archive of the Linux kernel mailing
> list, like:
>
> http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/index.html
>
> and do a search with the keywords along the lines of:
>
> 2G file size limit
>
> Unfortunately I don't think there is currently a "stable" solution to
> this problem. ext3 and reiserfs exist, and may solve the problem, but
> I think they're still pretty much considered beta, at best.

ext3 is late alpha/early beta
reiserfs is very late beta/production quality

The file size limit has less to do with the file system (hence why an
alpha or UltraSPARC can have huge files - I've seen up to 16GB) and more
to do with limits in what the file system interfaces with - the VFS.

> I'm not even sure you can use them with a 2.2.x kernel, you may have
> to use a "development" kernel, ie., 2.3.x series kernel.

reiserfs works just fine with 2.3.x/2.4.x.  The 2.3.x/2.4.x series has had
fixed the "can't have >2GG files on ix86" problem fixed for quite some
time now, too.

> Also, of course, you could solve the problem by going with a
> DEC/Compaq Alpha or Sparc 64-bit machine running Linux.

Provided, of course, you can afford one of the things :)

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien