Re: telnet vs ssl

> Hi, im wondering about the security of telnet - people say its really
> unsecure...does this mean that someone would need to be running a
> network sniffer on my ip to catch the data?

Yep.  Telnet was written back when worrying about people sniffing
connections was a non-issue.

> I telnet to my ISP from work, (only telnet available) then run SSH
> from ISP shell to home machine....is this just as insecure as a
> straight connection via telnet right to my home machine?

Yep: just as insecure - you don't know who between you and your ISP may be
running a packet sniffer.  Your only solution (that I know of) is to get
your sysadmin at work to unlock port 22 (the port used by ssh) at the
firewall (if it's a firewall that's blocking ssh).

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien