Re: shell script at boottime

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 02:51:40PM +0200, Sven Burgener wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 01:55:38PM +0200, Hans wrote:
> > it in /etc/init.d, then make the link /etc/rc2.d/S50boot.sh. Is this the
> > proper way to do this? Thanks for the input.
>
> One way of doing it. Note that this only gets run at boot time when the
> default run level is 2, which happens to be so right now, but might
> be changed later, so check /etc/rcS.d/README for a better way.

And note that it will be run any time the system enters runlevel 2, not
just at boottime. Adding the symlink from /etc/rcS.d is the best
solution.

> I don't know the policy if there is any on this topic(?), but you can always
> have an @reboot entry in root's crontabs.

See the Debian Policy Manual, section 3.3. Most packages use scripts
named the same as their Debian package name, so you should avoid these
when creating your own scripts. One method is to add the prefix "local_"
to the name of your script.

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 10:00:09PM -0400, Michael Soulier wrote:

> 	I can't seem to remember the name I saw, but isn't there a tool in
> Debian for managing these symlinks? If so, will it adapt to manual
> additions like this?

man update-rc.d. Also, most /etc/init.d scripts are marked as conffiles,
so apt/dpkg will ask before replacing the file if they detect you've
changed it.

--
  finger for GPG public key.