Re: my mouse wont work....

Erik Mathisen wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Erik,

> i have a Logitech First mouse + connected to my serial one port.  I
> can't get it to work anywhere on Debian.

I have the same mouse and it works fine using the microsoft mouse settings. Unless
yours has failed the problem lies elsewhere.

> I have just switched from
> RedHat, and I have installed all the updates through woody.  When I
> look at my dmesg I get this for the serial ports:
>
> Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
>                    ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
>                    ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>                    ttyS03 at 0x02e8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

I also have Serial two disabled in the bios, but linux doesn't care it lists it
anyway.  So the fact that serial two shows up in dmesg is probably normal. On my
motherboard I can only use two of the four serial ports at the same time.  So only
the two I'm using show up in dmesg - serial one (mouse) and serial two (modem). For
some reason yours shows up with serial three using the interrupt for serial one.
That's probably normal enough if something is using serial port three.  Could your
modem (or anything else) be installed on port three?  The fact that it's listing both
ports two and four as using the same irq looks strange to me (it might be correct for
your board) unless nothing is mounted on either port.

Good Luck
John