Re: Are i386 binaries ok ?

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Arnaud Espanel wrote:

> Other GNU / Linux distributions binaries are pentium binaries and
> official debian intel binaries are i386 binaries. Some
> people say having pentium binaries increases performances.
> Is it true ? Why ? Is it interesting for people to recompile the
> whole distribution for their own processor ?
>
> And what about SMP systems ?

	If you have a pentium processor, recompiling the Linux source with
pentium optimization on, using pgcc (http://www.goof.com/pcg/), can
increase performance. This is how Mandrake makes their money.
	Personally, I'm using a P-III 450. I did have Mandrake installed,
and now I'm playing with Debian without Pentium optimization. I haven't
noticed much of a difference.

	As for SMP, I believe you need to compile your own kernel with SMP
support on.

	Mike

"To listen to the words of the learned, and to instill into others the
lessons of science, is better than religious exercises."
		-- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)