Re: remote shell question

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 10:14:37PM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
> Is there any way to SSH or telnet into an account, start a command line
> program such as an ftp session, get the download going, then log out and
> leave the process happeneing. I would like to be able to start downloading
> then close down the workstation from which I SSHed, and come back the next
> day to find the task complete.

You can batch an ftp session.  You can run this batched session to
background or with a scheduler:

at now
> ftp <<EOF
> open host
> user myid password mypass
> cd /somepath
> get afile
> put anotherfile
> bye
> EOF
^D

...assuming you know 'zactly what you want to do.  Syntax not
guaranteed.

You can specify a .netrc file to automatically log in/out of specified
hosts, avoiding need to put your userid/password into the script or here
document.

You might also look at scp and rsync if they're supported at both ends
of your connection(s).