Re: Looking for Compression algorithm

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 01:46:07PM +0800, minfuli wrote:
> Dear Sir: We are looking for the Algorithm of data compression. We
> know  MPEG1, MPEG2, MP3 which are compressions for Audio & Video. Its
> allow the data lose when compressed . But We need the algorithm of
> loseless compression. Like BIOS compression, Modem, Tape
> Compression....  Can you provide any algorithm of loseless
> compression.
>
> Thanks a lot Minfu Li VP GTK

Like "deflate" compression or "bzip[2]"?  Both are lossless and free.
Deflate is used in gzip and implemented in the zlib debian package.  The
source code is there (it's also described in RFCs 1950-2). I'm sure
there are other methods.  Deflate is pretty good for general purpose,
but may not have as high compression as other methods like bzip2 (but
also is faster).  I'm sure others can expound upon this better than I.

--
According to MegaHAL:
    The emu is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace.