Re: remote shell question

Chris Mason wrote:
> Is there any way to SSH or telnet into an account, start a command line
> program such as an ftp session, get the download going, then log out and
> leave the process happeneing. I would like to be able to start downloading
> then close down the workstation from which I SSHed, and come back the next
> day to find the task complete.

Check into the package 'screen'.  It basically starts a "sub-shell" (for
lack of a better term) that can be detached from the active session and
reattached later.  You would run screen on the system that you connected to,
not the one you connect from.  If you're not going to do anything too
terribly fancy, the man page will suffice to get you going.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
                              |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"
'91 GS500E                    |
Morgantown WV                 |  Only dead fish go with the flow.