Re: What drive is the dir on ?

C. Falconer wrote:
> At 09:55 PM 7/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >For example, on my box here I get:
> >
> >HAL9000:~$ mount
> >/dev/hda1 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro,errors=remount-ro)
> >proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> >devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> >/dev/hdb1 on /space/part1 type ext2 (rw)
> >/dev/hdb2 on /space/part2 type ext2 (rw)
> >/dev/hdb3 on /space/part3 type ext2 (rw)
> >/dev/hdb5 on /space/part4 type ext2 (rw)
> >/dev/hdb6 on /space/part5 type ext2 (rw)
> >/dev/hdb7 on /space/part6 type ext2 (rw)
>
> Might I ask why you have seven partitions on hdb ?

You sure can.  I carved it up that way planning on installing a different
distro of Linux on each partition.  It's actually only 6 - one of those is
the extended partition containing three logical partitions.  However, my
need for miscellaneous data storage came before I had the chance to do the
"Great Installfest" so those partitions are now being used for random
storage.

Oh yeah - the drive is a 12.2 gig drive, with each partition being 2 gig
except the last partition which was sligtly larger.  /dev/hda is a 2.6 gig
drive - that's my "main" drive.  I.e. that's where Debian itself is
installed, where the swap partition lives (/dev/hda2), and is what I boot
from.

However, I am now regretting carving the drive up like that as some
partitions are rapidly running out of room while others are close to being
empty.  As soon as I can afford a CD burner I'm going to archive everything
off and either turn it back into one large partition or *maybe* 2 or 3
larger partitions.  I don't know yet.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
                              |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"
'91 GS500E                    |
Morgantown WV                 |  Only dead fish go with the flow.