Re: Initial Load, X Issues

	Hi Ethan,

	don't use dselect. You can use dpkg. Go to the path where your .deb
resides and do

	dpkg -i name_of_the_deb_package.deb

	Is smooth.

	>but it doesnt seem to support my newer TNT2.

	Trouble-free or work-free supporting depends of what version of Debian
you're using, if old or new.

	People from NVIDIA (TNT) have provided some stuff for GNU/Linux in their
homepage, near the M$ Win drivers. Go and take a look there, it can be
interesting.

	Other questions... Don't know (also Debian and GNU/L newbie). Hope you
convert to Debian and enjoy it.

	Hope that helps,

	Ignasi

At 16.48 7/7/00 -0400, Ethan Pierce ha escrit:
>Greetings all, I have just installed Debian via the apt method.  Im not
even sure what this did but it seemed to go right into the compilation
where dselect from the cdrom was near impossible for me to figure out.
Anyhow, while it was compiling it kept asking me if I wanted this WM or
that, I was waiting for enlightenment to show up so I kept saying NO
(apparently E doesnt come with 2.1).  So now everything is installed, im on
the net and in a console.

>A few questions:
>1) how should I go about getting X working?  I understand how to use
xf86config, but it doesnt seem to support my newer TNT2. I have the Xfree86
4.0 DEB package and I definately want to install that.  Where do I put it
to have dselect recognize it.  Or should I compilie X4.0 from source.

>2) How do I get my window manager working when/if I get X running
correctly?  Is it just a simple matter of editing .xinitrc in homedir?

>3) I want enlightenment WM, I used it b4 in mandrake, but could never
compile it from CVS because of the way RPMs are strewn about the system in
mandrake.  Ive been told that getting E through CVS in Debian was a snap.
Any tips on this?

>4)  Lastly, I want to upgrade the kernel.  Should I do that first before
anything else?  I am familiar with this process.

>Thanks for your help guys, Im coming to Debian because it was highly
recommended to me and well maintained.  I dislike the way Mandrake sets
files and packages about the system in disorganization.  Please help me
convert to Debian.  Appreciations, Ethan

  \______|  els fills abandonats  |_______/

                    from

     Barcelona                Catalonia