Re: What to use as an MTA

Hello

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 03:29:16PM +0200, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:

> My question is: If I have a machine that's _not_ permanently connected
> to the internet, ie. if I'm using dial-up, is exim still a good choice,
> or are there better MTAs for that purpose.

I am using the combination Exim / fetchmail / procmail / mutt / vim here
and am absolutely happy with that.

Previously to using this setup, I ran sendmail (suse at the time) and
I wasn't able to config' it myself; had to use sendmail.cf-generating
tools for that, so I say Exim is easy and nice to configure.

When installing Exim a script gets placed into /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/. That
script sends all pending mails when PPP is up, which is neat.

Also nice is the ability to get statistics on a daily basis. Look at
/etc/cron.daily/exim for that. (You simply need to uncomment a few lines)

Good luck
--
S. Burgener