Re: What to use as an MTA

Viktor Rosenfeld <rosenfel@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
> My question is: If I have a machine that's _not_ permanently connected
> to the internet, ie. if I'm using dial-up, is exim still a good
> choice,
> or are there better MTAs for that purpose.
>
> Are there alternatives that work best with demand dialing with ISDN
> (no
> delay when connecting)?

I have a machine, like your's, which is set up for dial-on-demand
dialing to my ISP. Exim works fine here and only attempts a connection
itself when there is outgoing mail in the queue. I manually fire up
fetchmail to collect mail from my ISP's POP3 server and, if I have just
written an email, I can manually get Exim to send it which causes my
machine to connect.

Works very nicely here . . .

--
Phillip Deackes