Re: What to use as an MTA

Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> in the exim Texinfo file it says:
>
> > Exim is designed to work efficiently on systems that are permanently
> > connected to the Internet and are handling a general mix of mail.
>
> My question is: If I have a machine that's _not_ permanently connected
> to the internet, ie. if I'm using dial-up, is exim still a good choice,
> or are there better MTAs for that purpose.
>
> Are there alternatives that work best with demand dialing with ISDN (no
> delay when connecting)?

I'm on a regular dial-up here - going through a demand-dialing firewall /
router - and have been using exim with no troubles.  At one time I was using
our ISP's SMTP server as my smarthost, but am currently doing my sending
direct.  Occasionally I have troubles with sending to sites that use MAPS,
but I manage.

So I'd say go ahead and give exim a whirl.  I found it quite easy to
configure, and use its built-in filtering capability to sort my email into
seperate directories.  Quite easy to deal with, and I found the syntax of
the filter easier to understand than procmail's.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
                              |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"
'91 GS500E                    |
Morgantown WV                 |  Only dead fish go with the flow.