explanation pls on postscripts,ghostscripts & printing

Hi,

  Can someone please enlighten me regarding these subjects? I know that
postscript is a programming language that describes the appearance of a
printed page developed by Adobe in 1985 etc, and Ghostscript is an
interpreter for the PostScript language, but how do I use it for printing?,
doesn't the magicfilter package already supports gs/ps? I mean, right now I
am using magicfilter for my hp deskjet printer but when I print something
the fonts look ugly...kind of like fonts from the console and it also
doesn't print in color plus pics printed also look bad when compared to
those printed from a windows machine. perhaps that is my problem?  if so,  I
hope someone can lend me a helping hand in this matter.

Thank you.