RE: Setting up network

Firstly, if you are using Debian, all you need to edit are the following
files:-

/etc/networking/interfaces	you should include the proper lines so that
the system can locate your eth0

				eth0 inet static
(I think I am missing another part here)
					address 192.168.1.1
					network 192.168.1.0
					broadcast 192.168.1.255
					netmask 255.255.255.0
					gateway 192.168.1.254

/etc/resolv.conf			for resolving hostnames by pointing
to the nameserver...but if you are running bind locally, then the
ip should be 127.0.0.1 first before the network nameserver ip.

/etc/hosts			for resolving local computer names to local
ip addresses i.e. before the dns (bind).

As for returning to X, use Ctrl F7

Cheers!