Setting up network

Dear Debian Friends:

I am working on converting several machines running W95 to a Debian
system running Helix-Gnome. My plan is to use Samba to talk to the
existing NT server. However, I am unsure as to what the best tool is for

network configuration.  Some Linux distributions use linuxconf or
netcfg. Is there such a tool in Debian?  Or should I just edit the
network, hosts, and ifconfig files?

Also, I often find it necessary to use ctrl-alt-f1 to open a virtual
terminal and do some work.  I can never get back to the Gnome desktop.
Any way to do that without shutting down X?

I very much appreciate any suggestions!

Robert