Re: Potato and Helix-Gnome - Solved!

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 12:39:15PM -0500, Robert Maynord wrote:
> Dear Debian list:
>
> Thanks for your responses!  I finally solved the Potato and Helix-Gnome
> installation problem.  I found that if I do NOT use the "simple" package
> choice in apt-get, but use the "advanced" instead, it works.  I am able to
> use the Helix-Gnome CD with no problem.

That's nice to hear! :-)

> Except:  There appears to be an IRQ conflict.  My mouse hops all around the
> perimeter of the screen, with no useful connections on the menus.  I have
> tried using XF86Setup to configure my PS/2 mouse to /dev/psaux.  The mouse
> works fine in the X test setup - just not in Gnome!
>
> I will continue with the troubleshooting....

Proposal:
Set your mouse device to /dev/mouse, I think that's the canonical way of
doing it.
Then check how gpm is doing, I've had a lot of trouble when I tried to
use the raw device for the mouse ...

Then again, for me there was some voodoo in it too, and Potato was
unstable back then.

HTH.
		Morten

--
Morten Liebach <morten@hotpost.dk> ; http://home1.stofanet.dk/liebach
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided