Re: Helix Gnome vs Debian Gnome -- worth the upgrade?

Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 01:15:34PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> > I tried to install HelixGNOME via the instructions for Debian on
> > the helixcore website (lynx -source blah blah blah), and chose
> > option 3 (full install), and it looked like everything was going
> > fine, until I got a dependency error that libsound is apparently
> > not available. I haven't been able to find this package anywhere
> > .deb form, so I've just put HelixGNOME on the back burner for
> > now.
>
> Erm, Helix supplies debs.  They work, too.
>
> # Helix GNOME
> deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main
> deb-src http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main
>
> --
> Nathan Norman         "Eschew Obfuscation"          Network Engineer
> GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7            http://home.midco.net/~nnorman/
> Key fingerprint = C5F4 A147 416C E0BF AB73  8BEF F0C8 255C 51F9 8BB7
>
>   -----------------------------------------------------------------
>    Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

My bad. Although I had the first line in my sources.list file,
when I did the install gdm was installed, only it came up broken
(explanation below). So I tried to use kdm to see what effect it
had and it was broken, so I did an "apt-get install kdm", which
then complained about the missing libsound package.

So like the idiot that I am, I added my "problem with Helix" to
this discussion, not thinking straight enough to realize that my
problem was with KDE, not Helix.

I reckon I need to get one of them "Stupid" signs to display.

So here's my real problem with Helix: when I run gdm, it brings
up a gnome login screen that if I accept the default X session of
Gnome, dumps me into a screen with a Gnome-ish file-browser-type
window that is partially off the screen and with a Gnome Tips
window. I can close the tips window, but I can't access the title
bar of the file-browser to move it or close it, etc. There is not
Gnome taskbar (with the "foot" and other icons), and clicking on
bare desktop background doesn't bring up any pop-up menus, no
matter which button I use. So it appears that the install is
broken on my machine.

If anyone knows the solution, great; if not, no biggie; like I
said, I've just put HelixGNOME on the back burner for now.

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu