Re: Ugly console font

Please respond to list.  Reply and followups redirected.

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 09:21:11AM -0700, Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:
> There are about 30 Console lines and yes I think it is
> running in SVGATEXT mode.

That's SVGATextMode -- it's the name of a program.  What's the output
of:

    dpkg -s svgatextmode | head -12

> I cannot find the file
> /etc/TextConfig in my system ....
> I cannot fint setfont either. I think my system has
> gone wahkky.

I think you don't have these programs installed.  That's not wacky,
that's deprived <g>

    dpkg -s kbd-compat

You can also set the system VGA mode at boot time by providing an
svga=XX option in your /etc/lilo.conf, eg:

    boot=/dev/hda
    root=/dev/hda3
    compact
    install=/boot/boot.b
    map=/boot/map
    vga=6                   # *****here****
    delay=20
    timeout=300
    prompt

    image=/vmlinuz
        label = Linux
        read-only

> I would like to know the following. What type fonts
> are console fonts? Are they *.BDF. *.psf, or *.pcf? Is

They're *.psf files, though I don't know quite what that is.

> it possible to convert a regular font to a console
> font? How do I set the font of an xterm console?

There are a number of font conversion tools available, several on my
system.  This topic is also discussed in several of the O'Reilly X
Window System volumes -- specifically the User and Admin guides.

> Thanks for the reply. Your the only one who did :)

De nada.