RE: MS Proxy

Erm - people... MS Proxy is not a firewall in itself. Perhaps the NT machine that runs Proxy also has a modem/other device in it, in which case it is doing firewall-style duties (perish the thought though... an NT based firewall)

Whereas if you have another device controlling your link, then use that device's IP as your default gateway. You may need to configure said device to accept/route/proxy/etc your IP.

Look at [start] --> settings --> control panel --> Network then click on the /Protocols\ tab then double click "TCP/IP" then click on the /Gateway\ tab then note the IP for the gateway. There may be more than one, but the top one is the primary.

Then go to your debian machine, and edit /etc/networks/interfaces

Mine looks like this
        # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
        # The loopback interface
        iface lo inet loopback
# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
        # (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
        iface eth0 inet static
                address 192.168.1.2
                netmask 255.255.255.0
                network 192.168.1.0
                broadcast 192.168.1.255
                gateway 192.168.1.1

(yes - that third paragraph was a dig at NT toadies, and I have two of the bloody things at work.)