Re: Apache Web Server question

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 09:53:43PM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote:

> Should I be worried that my apache server is running under root.

running apache as root is a very bad idea, but you would have had to
do this yourself it is never done like by any default i am aware of.
run ps aux | grep apache to see what user its running as.  it is
normal for one of the apache (out of about 10 or more) to be running
as root, this is OK as it does not answer queries, it only forks
children to handle the requests.

> When I do a ls -ld /var/www I get
> drwxr-xr-x 	3 root	root		1024 Jun 30 20:06 /var/www
> And if so how can I can it???

you don't need to change it, those permissions are fine, files do not
need to be owned or group owned by www-data if they are world
writable.

the only reason to make files readable by www-data specifically is if
you have htaccess protected documents you don't want shell users to be
able to see without the password. otherwise world readable files will
do just fine.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/