Re: iMac: boot Debian Linux from CD-ROM

Hello Ethan and everyone!

potato is up and running on my iMac G3! Ethan's webpages were immensely
useful. especially the detailed file on using mac-fdisk for partitioning.
(It took about 6 hours of fussing around, so that's not too bad, is it?)
What follows might be just an esthetic question (since I'm able to boot to
either Debian or MAC OS with the "option" key reboot), and perhaps not
(should I want something cleaner???):
(1) I'm using yaboot version 6. This
is what was on the vendor CDs. I'm afraid to use the menu_ofboot.b file,
even though the bug looks like it's been fixed (actually I tried it, and I
couldn't reboot onto linux, which is no fun!!!). So via MAC OS, I put
ybin-0.16.tar.gz on a
floppy. But, I'm unable to mount the floppy from linux. What's the command
line??? (mount is telling me to use insmod, but that's not working either)
(2) in any event, should I install ybin-0.16 to avoid eventual problems?
... I'm still writing to you from MAC OS, I have no clue how to get
started with PPP (e.g. to download ybin), emacs is running, but I don't
know how to get X11 working.

thanks a lot!

Philip