Re: Booting from network

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, C. Falconer wrote:

> Sorry - missed the original on this...
>
> Do you have a rarpd server on the network?  Later kernel 2.3 and all 2.4
> does not support rarp any more (I have the same problem, and rarpd the new
> daemon for rarp won't compile for me)

See, I knew I was overlooking something!  I loaded the kernel module for
rarp support, and added entries into the rarp tables for the client
machine, but neglected to start a listener -- rarpd!

Unfortunately, I had the same experience you did, there is no rarpd in my
distribution.  I was able to download the source for rarpd from
dimensia.org (found it on freshmeat).  Although it was somewhat of a PITA,
I did get it to compile.  I still am having the same errors though...

Brian May wrote:

> >Are you sure the server is not seeing the request? Or perhaps,
> >the sparc client cannot see the reply?

Yes, I am sure because I can see the activity on the hub -- the client is
sending, but the server never responds.  Also, no connection is recorded
in the logs.

> >Use tcpdump on the server to find out if the server is responding or
> >not.

I'll give this a try, maybe I can get more debugging data...

Thanks guys!

Jim Koontz