Re: Lost root access :-(

Anyway 'chsh' is for admin use, not editing directly /etc/passwd, doing that is a bad practice (i do too as always i think but that dont mean it's ok).

At 23.00 27/6/00 +0200, Harald Thingelstad wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Frank van der Hulst wrote:

> Help!!!
>
> I just installed Debian GNU/Linux, everything was going well.
>
> Then I decided I'd change the shell for root to the C shell. So I used
> emacs to change the /etc/passwd entry for root, so that root's shell is
> /bin/tcsh
>
> Then, I found that tcsh isn't in the /bin directory! And I've logged out

This is normally the kind of problem maintenance partitions are meant for!
(Great for troubles with your base system, and also for fiddling
with the main root partition. Hope you have some disk space available.
You can trash your swap partition if needed.)

A maintenance partition is an extra linux installation on the same system,
bootable via floppy or lilo. Contains a usable system plus basic utilities
like mount and a small editor in your case, but also disk (repair) tools,
, maybe some kernel compiler necessities, lilo, chroot et cetera.
100 Mb should suffice.

Get my idea?
Should be on any system. Or at least, should be *installable* on any
system.

I *will* fix my mailer someday.
Harald

Philosophy, law, medicine and even theology, alas! I studied everything with
an ardent will and here I am, poor fool, just as far behind as ever.
No more advanced than before.
    Goethe - Faust