Re: Postgresql 7.02 and Debian

Bill Barnes wrote:
> Last used 6.5.3 in SuSE, so new to both 7.02 and debian.  Debian not in the
> list of supported platforms at Postgresql web site.
> Installation seemed to be okay, but maybe directories are different???
> Specifically:
> su postgres
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start -i
> responds:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions:  No such file or directory

If you built postgresql on your own, you may find it easier in the long
run to build the 7.0.2 debian packages from source, especially if you're
planning on running it on more than one machine.

Briefly:
1) add deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib
non-free
   to your /etc/apt/sources.list
2) apt-get update
3) cd to a working directory, apt-get source postgresql
4) cd postgresql-7.0.2; edit debian/rules to do any mods you want for
configure.
5) sudo ./debian/rules binary

It'll make all the postgres debs for you in the working directory you
cded to in 3.

6) dpkg -i postg*7.0.2*deb

This worked painlessly on my stormix upgraded to potato box.

jpb
--
Joe Block <jpb@creol.ucf.edu>
CREOL System Administrator

Social graces are the packet headers of everyday life.