Re: Postgresql 7.02 and Debian

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 12:02:17PM -0400, Bill Barnes wrote:

> Last used 6.5.3 in SuSE, so new to both 7.02 and debian.  Debian not in the
> list of supported platforms at Postgresql web site.

Debian GNU/Linux works fine, and there's a .deb of PostgreSQL available in
Debian.  6.x is in potato, but the 7.0 version in woody works for me.
Others have had problems.  Make sure you back up all your data _before_
doing any upgrades; the automatic upgrades have failed miserably for me more
than once.  That said, Oliver Elphick, the package maintainer, does a
laudable job (in my view).

> Installation seemed to be okay, but maybe directories are different???

Yes.  Check the README.Debian file that comes with your package (should be
under /usr/share/doc or /usr/doc, depending on which version of Debian
you're using).  It works transparently, though.

One word of warning: if you go with the version from woody, and you want to
use PHP, you may have to do some compiling from source.

--
Andrew Sullivan                                      Computer Services
<sullivana@bpl.on.ca>                        Burlington Public Library