Re: NTFS

Goeman Stefan <Stefan.Goeman@siemens.atea.be> writes:
> If I am correct, it should be possible to read and write from/to an NTFS
> mounted partition.
>

> However if I try this I get an error message in the style of "permission
> denied, can not create file /mnt/winnt/......"
> (whereby /mnt/winnt) is the place where I have my NT partition mounted.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or have I overlooked something ??

Quite possibly you overlooked something. Did you build the kernel
yourself? Writing to NTFS partitions is still an "experimental" part
of the Linux kernel so you have to enable prompting for experimental
features when configuring the kernel and then check NTFS read & write
support. I don't believe any of the stock kernels support the NTFS
write capability.

Be forewarned that I've seen several people on the linux-kernel
mailing list state that write support has trashed their NTFS
drives. However read support is presumably stable. I certainly haven't
had any trouble with read support.

Gary