Problem with es1371

Hi.
I've compiled new kernel, and made soundcard support as modules. I've
SB64PCI card, which I think is preferred as es1371. I've tried to do as told
in linux-sound-howto, but pnpdump founds no boards, so I can't configure
isapnp.conf. But I'm not even sure do I have to use isapnp? After all, this
is not isa card, it's pci card.
'modprobe es1371' loads soundcore.o and es1371.o, but nothing appears in
file /dev/sndstat. It only tells that 'No such device' when I try 'cat
/dev/sndstat'.
I've tried with several different BIOS-settings also, which doesn't help.
Motherboard is asus P2L97, very basic board I think.
Maybe someone could help me or at least tell me where to find more
information about sounds in Debian. I've read howto's and man-pages and all
this stuff; maybe I've missed something?

Petteri Heinonen
email: h157056@cs.tut.fi
tel.:  +358 (0)50 3363 286
addr.: Pehkusuonkatu 21 B 38