Re: DPKG ERROR

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 06:32:27PM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote
> Hello Group,
> I was trying to install ssh and would get an error
>  "E:  Sub-Process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1).
> So I thought to upgrade DPKG (oh yeah I was running slink
> and upgraded to potato when this started to happen). Well
> after trying tp upgrade dpkg I got the same error message.
> No matter what I try to install with apt-get install I get
> the same error message. How can I fix this? I have posted
> some of the error message befare but I will resend some of
> them.
> thanks group

This is because ssh depends on debconf.

The following should get you one step closer:
# apt-get install debconf
# dpkg --pending --configure

Then, you will encounter another problem with this
ssh package.

Look in /var/lib/dpkg/info/ssh.templates, for a line
(about line 90 of 100) that reads
Template: ssh/run_sshd

There should be a blank line in front of this line, to separate
it from the previous Template: section.

Insert that new line, and then run
# dpkg --pending --configure

That should fix it.