Re: package versions in dselect, and Release file

On 25 Jun 2000, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> It is not this simple; in fact, I think there's an out-and-out bug.
> I'll report it when I have some time to waste.

It is a bug with whoever typed dpkg-scanpackages because they did it
wrong.

> deb file:/usr/local/src/debs localdebs main non-free
>
> Then "apt-get update" looks for
>
> /usr/local/src/debs/dists/localdebs/{main,non-free}/binary-i386/Packages
>
> but "apt-get install pysol" looks for
>
> /usr/local/src/debs/main/binary-i386/games/pysol_*.deb.

Which is /usr/local/src/debs+[whatever is in Packages for the
Filename field]

Call dpkg-scanpackages correctly and this will go away.

> This is related to the thread earlier this week about the semantics of
> a trailing slash on the deb URL.  Apparently the thorough explanation
> given still haven't exhausted the topic :-(

A trailing slash modifies the selection of the Package file, nothing more.
Filename: fields are always relative to the URL.

Jason