Mouse in deep doo-doo; Debian 2.2 from Libranet

Hello the list:
Installed with mouse at /dev/psaux, ran for many days, installed several
packagesl including a loooong run of helixcode.

Mouse began dying and maybe cursor would reappear someplace and maybe move
when moving the mouse to and fro.

Switched to Win95 and got the same erratic mouse behavior.  Cleaned it up to
no avail and finally switched the mouse to com1.  Works fine in W95.

Libranet installs a login screen.  Edited the mouse config to /dev/ttyS0.

The login screen does not respond to the mouse or the keyboard with the mouse
plugged into the serial port.  I have to reset the machine to get out of this.

Moving the mouse back to the ps/2 port allows a login but, of course, the
mouse is still not usable.

Can boot to maintenance mode with 'Linux single'.
Default runlevel is set to 2 in inittab.  Changed it to 5, trying to kill the
login screen.

Is this a Libranet or a Debian problem?  Is there an out or do I just have to
re-install and get on with it?

Thanks,
Bill Barnes

This e-mail has been sent to  you  courtesy of OperaMail,  a
free  web-based  service  from  Opera  Software,  makers  of
the award-winning Web Browser - http://www.operasoftware.com