gap (maths package) versions

The Debian version for the GAP (Groups/Algorithms/Proofs) package is
3.4.4, and yet there are two documentation packages which document
GAP4.  This situation persists even in woody, which even seems to
contain library add-ons for GAP4, but the base GAP package is still at
3.4.4.

What's going on?  I've installed GAP4 in /usr/local, but I'd prefer a
deb ..

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
In his own soul a man bears the source