Re: Capturing terminal contents

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 03:15:23AM -0400, Bill Barnes wrote:
> Hello the list:
>
> The simple objective is to, for the most part, copy error messages from x
> terminals for submission to the mailing lists.
> Examined archives and duly noted references to import, xv, imagemagick,
> xgrab, etc and reviewed the man pages.
> These procedures seem to work, more or less, but i have not been
> successful in getting an image that i can copy to my email.

Don't.

Images suck, are *way* bandwidth and storage intensive, and will piss
off most of us, resulting in zero help at best and killfiling at worst.

Console (xterm) output is plain old ASCII.  Cut and paste the text.  You
can do so by highlighting (left mouse button) and dumping it (middle
mouse button, use both left & right simultaneously on 2-button mice, may
require modifications to /etc/X11/XF86Config).

For a long sequence of commands and output, use "script".

    $ script # output saved to named file or "typescript" by default
    $ some-command
    $ some-other-command
    $ different-command
    $ ^D     # Use:  <ctrl>-D to end script file.

For short commands and such, redirect or tee output:

    $ some-funky-command > logfile
    $ some-funky-command | tee logfile

For more info:

    $ man script