Re: Bash script question (was: Re: Netscape 4.73 wrapper broken)

** On Jun 24, Mark Phillips scribbled:
> Peter Kovacs [kovacsp@knowpost.com] wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Peter Kovacs wrote:
> >
> > > I'm sure that a fix has already been posted, but this works for me
> > > (replace the code above with this):
> > >
> > >         for d in /usr/lib/netscape/base-4/wrapper.d ; do
> > >                 cd $d;
> > >                 for f in `find -maxdepth 1 -type f`; do
> > >                         . $d/$f
> > >                 done
> > >         done
> >
> > Wow.  I just realized how incredibly incorrect the code is.  Well, it
> > works for me.  YMMV though.  I'd wait for an official fix, or fix it
> > yourself if the above doesn't work.
>
> What does "YMMV" stand for?
Your Mileage May Vary

> 	for f in $(cd....
>
> It seems to work sort of, but I don't understand why!
The $(...) construct is a replacement for the old `...` construct which
means "execute the comands between the single quotes (or the $(...)
sequence) and replace the expression with the output of the command
sequence. The command sequence is executed by a subshell, that is no side
effects occur to the current shell (pwd, environment etc.)

> And what is the ". $d/$f" supposed to do??
Read my previous posting.

marek