Bug Tracking System: Much to many bugs

Since I've reported a bug myself I've looked a little bit throught the
Bug Tracking System. In my view the list of bugs is much to large.
Something has to be done to get rid of bugs, especially old ones. So I
suggest the following:

1. Anyone who ever reported a bug should check if it still applies. I
guess a substantial number of bug reports might just be removed. If a
bug still applies make a corresponding note in the Bug Tracking System,
possibly with information about the new check conditions.

2. Anyone who is interested to get rid of bugs might just pick any bug
(preferable the older ones) to hunt down any new info about the bug.
There are new tools/infos around to discover the reason for a bug. This
certainly will help developers to fix bugs. Of course there has to be a
corresponding note in the Bug Tracking System.

3. Anyone who is capable of solving bugs might just pick any bug and
send a fixing patch directly to the maintainer. For would-be programmer
bug hunting is by far the best technic to get used to software hacking.
There's no way around making errors himself or learning from others
errors.

I do address the problematic of the Bug Tracking System to the user
community since it's their responsibility to get rid of bugs. The
developers responsibility is making bugs (haha, of course making
programms) and to fixed them from time to time. So don't nerve any
developer unless you provide a patch or at least some substantial new
information.

O. Wyss