Suggest net trafic analyser pls!

Hi all
I having problem with qmail mail server.
I hold some incoming smtp connection for a long time without any messages
received from them :-(
I'd like to analyse this situation.
For this I need some kind of sniffer.
Can anyone suggest me a kind of such app which is able to sniff from ppp
interface ?

I've tried "sniffit" from slink. The problem is: it seams not able to
analyse ppp trafic

On my debian box I have 3 ethernet card and one modem acting as default
internet connection
When I try

sniffit -i -F eth2

I see active sesions and etc.
But if change eth2 to ppp1 (I find this using ifconfig)
I don't see anything. But I'm sure that ppp1 interface is active and I have
real traffic on it.

TIA Alex