Re: anyone using xosview?

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 11:55:45AM -0400, m_shapiro@bigfoot.com wrote:
> I have just installed xosview and can not get it to work.
>
> I am running slink with some packages upgraded to potato (but I have not
> upgraded glibc).  The install seemed to go fine using apt-get.  The messages say
> that it was downloaded, unpacked and configured.  When I try to run the
> program, however, using:
>
>         xosview &
>
> from an xterm I get nothing.  If I run top it shows that xosview is running
> (stat 'R') but nothing shows on the display.  The menu of active applications
> in fvwm does not show xosview, either.  I get the exact same results if I try
> to start xosview from fvwm's GoodStuff.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
>
> Any help appreciated.

No problems here.

Run and  report on:

    $ dpkg -s xosview
    $ strace xosview

...the first tells what version of xosview you've got installed, the
second may show what's bombing out with xosview -- last few hundred
lines (or less) of output may be informative.

I'm running:
    Package: xosview
    Section: utils
    Installed-Size: 248
    Maintainer: Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org>
    Version: 1.7.3-2
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.2), libstdc++2.10, libxpm4, xlib6g (>= 3.3.6)

I was going to suggest 'ld $( which xosview )' as well, but I find that
ld doesn't appear to work as advertised on my system:

    $ ld $( which xosview )
    ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 0804a760

...I'm not super familiar with the linker's functionality anyway.
Someone got the kudgel of enlightement handy?

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org