Re: [Q] How do one make a bootable Debian CD

Preben Randhol <randhol@pvv.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to install Debian Potato on a second machine. This machine
> has internet connection so I thought I'd install from the net. I found
> out that I have to put the content of:
> ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/
> on a CD and make that CD bootable.

If you wish to install over the net, then all you really need would
be a couple of boot floppies.  If you want to use CD as boot media and
intends to build your own CD image (and that you have a local mirror
of Debian package directories), you may check out the debian-cd
package, which are also used to generate the official Debian CD sets.

There is still another good way to get things organized: if you happen
to have slink bootable CDs handly, install the base system with that,
set up apt sources, perform a dist-upgrade immediately (before you have
any other packages installed to minimize the hazzle), and continue with
intalling other packages over the net.  This also works very well.

-- Chuan-kai Lin