PHP4 & Apache

I just installed php4. Having restarted apache i connect to the site with
my browser and it indicates that i've started a file of type
"application/x-httpd-php3"
The index of the server is a php doc, and therefore the mime msg makes
sense. but I can't seem to find the problem, commenting the php4 module
doesn't seem to work.

thanks,

-S-