Re: PowerPC(MacLombard)XF86Config

Tom wrote:
New install on a Macintosh Lombard and I can't seem to get an XF86Config
file that will work (Xserver=XF68_FBDev).

Cna someone point me to a URL that has install instruction specific debian
on Mac laptops?

And is there a specific debian-user-ppc mail list?

thanks

--
tom                             | "When we are born we cry that we have
tommyr@agora.rdrop.com          |  come to this great stage of fools!"
                                |                  W. Shakespeare

I've found that Linux developers are great at coding, but suck horribly at documenting. Part of the pioneering experience, I reckon.

I've got a PowerMac 4400/200 that I've been trying for days to get set up on Debian. Getting the base install done was relatively painless (only because I'm pretty familiar with the Debian i386 installation in general and fairly familiar with Macintosh), but getting X going has been a nightmare. I've almost got a working setup, but the documentation needed just hasn't been quite what was needed.

I only say this to let you know that you're not alone in your quest. I've included my XF86Config for comparison; it kindda sortta works, but not really.

Near as I can tell from the documentation on fbdev, the "default" setting in the "Modes" line of the "Screen" section tells the server to use the settings currently set for the console, but I can change the console settings (using "fbset '1024x768-90'", etc, from /etc/fb.modes) all day long and then try to start X, but nothing ever seems to change. So instead of using "default", I try to specify a mode in the "Monitor" section of XF86Config, and either it doesn't work or I still get the partial sortta-but-not-really display. The mode settings I've tried have come from other XF86Config files that supposedly work with LinuxPPC, and from the output of "fbset -x", and guessing, and tweaking.

I'm still trying to find more docs to read, so if I can figure out more precisely how it all works together or if I get a working XF86Config file in the next day or two, I'll forward it on to you.

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu

# $XFree86: xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/XF86Conf.cpp,v 3.29.2.3 1999/06/02 07:50:27 hohndel Exp $
#
# Copyright (c) 1994 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.
#
# Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
# copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
# to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
# the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
# and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
# Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
#
# The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
# all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
# THE XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
# SOFTWARE.
#
# Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project shall
# not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
# dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from the
# XFree86 Project.
#
# $XConsortium: XF86Conf.cpp /main/22 1996/10/23 11:43:51 kaleb $

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the XF86Config(4/5) man page for details about the format of
# this file. This man page is installed as /usr/X11R6/man/man5/XF86Config.5x
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"
    RgbPath	"/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/:unscaled"
    FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "xie.so"
EndSection

Section "Keyboard"
    Protocol	"Standard"
    AutoRepeat	500 5
    XkbDisable
    XkbKeymap "macintosh"
EndSection

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol	"BusMouse"
    Device	"/dev/mouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier	"Sony Multiscan 100GS"
    VendorName	"Sony"
    ModelName	"100GS"
    HorizSync	30-70         # multisync
    VertRefresh	50-120        # multisync
Mode "800x600-75"
    # D: 31.5 MHz, H: 37.5000 kHz, V: 75.00 Hz
    DotClock 56.479
    HTimings 800 808 872 992
    VTimings 600 608 619 635
    Flags "+HSync" "+VSync"