Re: LT Winmodem module (ltmodem.o) : Resolution

Andrew Whitlock wrote:

> In the course of attempting to get the Lucent Winmodem binary-only module to
> work with my 2.1r Debian box, I did the following:
>
> Tried kernels 2.2.12, 2.2.14, 2.2.15, even 2.0.36 (it was there <g>)
> Disabled all integrated peripherals
> Removed all cards except vid card and modem
> Removed all cards _and_ disabled all integrated peripherals
>
> I kept the kernel images on the drive and tried each one (only tried 2.0.36
> once, it generated a LOT of errors) with the same result:  Device or
> resource busy.  I had kernel images with _and_ without CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
> since someone in the linmodem mailing list archives suggested that setting
> it to _y_ caused problems(?!).
>
> So I'm stumped.  The modem I was trying to use had the Mars2 chipset and
> that's all I know about it, I purchased it new for a crisp $10 -- no
> manufacturer name on the box, product cleverly named 56K MODEM.
>
> I've given up for now; I located an inexpensive external modem.  Any more
> ideas would be helpful, but not critical since I have a sure-fire modem on
> the way.  Thank you for all of the assistance!
>
> While I'm here, though, I'd like to criticize binary-only device drivers ;-)

Hi,
I got Lucent winmodem working on both desktop and laptop. Here is my
setup, just in case it adds to the info the others provided :

*Laptop : Compaq Presario 1610
*Desktop : Olidata (it is an Italian assembled PC)

*Debian 2.2 (also worked with 2.1)

*kernel : 2.2.13 with enabled Character devices->Support more than 4
serial ports, and Character devices->support for sharing serial
interrupts. I'm not sure this is needed, but when inserted the module
says 'Lucent Modem driver version 4.27.5.66 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT
SHARE_IRQ enabled', so ...

*MAKEDEV /dev/ttyS14 ( type character, major number 62, minor number 78
)

*ln -s /dev/ttyS14 /dev/modem

*On the laptop only, I had to create the file /etc/rc.boot/9ltmodem as
follows :
insmod -f ltmodem 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
setserial /dev/ttyS14 irq=3 port=0x02f8 uart=16550A
[NOTE : setserial after insmod!]

*On the desktop, I only need to do insmod -f ltmodem

The modem works fine, though it uses quite a lot of CPU.

Hope some of it is useful

--
FB