Re: LT Winmodem module (ltmodem.o) : Resolution

In the course of attempting to get the Lucent Winmodem binary-only module to
work with my 2.1r Debian box, I did the following:

Tried kernels 2.2.12, 2.2.14, 2.2.15, even 2.0.36 (it was there <g>)
Disabled all integrated peripherals
Removed all cards except vid card and modem
Removed all cards _and_ disabled all integrated peripherals

I kept the kernel images on the drive and tried each one (only tried 2.0.36
once, it generated a LOT of errors) with the same result:  Device or
resource busy.  I had kernel images with _and_ without CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
since someone in the linmodem mailing list archives suggested that setting
it to _y_ caused problems(?!).

So I'm stumped.  The modem I was trying to use had the Mars2 chipset and
that's all I know about it, I purchased it new for a crisp $10 -- no
manufacturer name on the box, product cleverly named 56K MODEM.

I've given up for now; I located an inexpensive external modem.  Any more
ideas would be helpful, but not critical since I have a sure-fire modem on
the way.  Thank you for all of the assistance!

While I'm here, though, I'd like to criticize binary-only device drivers ;-)

Andrew W.

astrogeek@dork.com - "Dude"
http://home.cwru.edu/~agw4/
'67 Kombi / '67 Westy