can't install kernel/modules from cd-rom

Installing 2.1 on a 486, eliminating Win3.11.  Going through the steps in
the Installation Main Menu, I get as far as "Install Operating System Kernel
and Modules."  Program asks me to select CD interface type.  Each option
(/dev/hda, /dev/hdb, etc.), returns the same message: "Mount failed.  The
CD-ROM was not mounted successfully."  Selecting /dev/hdb takes a few
seconds longer, as if it might work, but still returns the Mount failed
message.
Now what?

Hardware:
2 IDE hard drives
/dev/hda -- Maxtor 1.5G  (1 bootable Linux partition, 1 swap)
/dev/hdb -- Samsung 406M (1 Linux partition)
CD-ROM Mitsumi IDE

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com