Re: Compiling the Kernel.

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 08:02:52AM -0400, dyer wrote:
> Marc Miron wrote:
>
> > Hi Everybody!!
> >
> > I'm trying to build a new kernel that has IP masqing/port forwarding
> > abilities and I've followed all the directions in the How-TOs and I just
> > can't seem to get it to work as after runing make config and setting it all
> > up, I run make clean;make install; make and after it has been working for
> > probably over an hour it just stops saying there is a file not found error.
> > I do not understand this because I would have thought that all the files
> > would have been included in the original .tar.gz file.  If there is some
> > other way of doing this, I'd be very gratefull of knowing about it.
> > Otherwise, If someone knows of a site with a decent selection of pre-build
> > kernels I'd also be grateful.  Otherwise, if anyone is interested in
> > building such a site, I've got plenty of room on my machine to host it.
> >

> Marc,
> Please post the error about what file it cannot find.  Also, you should not be
> running 'make install'. Take a look at the README in the /usr/src/linux directory.
> You should be running:
> make mrproper
> make config (or menuconfig or xconfig)
> make dep
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install

Better yet:

apt-get update; apt-get install kernel-package
make config (or menuconfig or xconfig)
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=local.<kernel-version> kernel_image
dpkg -i ../kernel-image-<kernel-version>_local.<kernel-version>_i386.deb

--
Nathan Norman         "Eschew Obfuscation"          Network Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7            http://home.midco.net/~nnorman/