Re: S L O W mailserver

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 09:42:00AM -0700, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:

> My question is, can I some how trace all tcp/ip traffic to a file when I click
> on my mail icon in KDE? Would be nice to start the file just prior to hitting
> the button, then end the file folllowing the last message so I can show him
> the times down to the second from the actual start of the session to the
> end of the session.

As other people have said, tcpdump would be the tool to use.  You could
also try manually delivering a message (ie, talk to their SMTP server
with telnet) and seeing where any long pauses turn up.

One thing that could cause timeouts is DNS problems.  If the remote site
attempts to resolve things and your system is giving it broken domain
names during the connection it could be waiting for the lookups to time
out.  This could also happen if your system doesn't have reverse DNS set
up correctly (ie, if it's not possible to get from your IP address to
your hostname using the DNS).

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/