RE: impatient upgrage question

>===== Original Message From "t.bedlam" <bedlam@concentric.net> =====
>On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 02:44:36AM +0200, balayo@mindspring.com was only
>   escaped alone to tell thee:
>
>> I have a fresh, minimal slink on my box.  While it's still
>> minimal, I'd like to upgrade it to potato.  Should I go ahead
>> and wait till potato is released?
>
>NO. :) You might have to do a bare minimum of tweaking, but I had a full
>slink here and an Adaptec SCSI-II card that has needed a custom kernel in
>the past and I can say that, slow modem aside, it was relatively painless.
>
>Think of it this way. A, you need the latest software, B, Debian needs
>guinea p^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hbeta testers.
>
>> anyway, can someone run down the steps to upgrading?  What
>> should I put in sources.list?  I should be able to replace the
>> "frozen" in the url to "stable" whenever the time is right,
>> right?
>
>I have had great luck with the following:
>
>deb ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com:/.1/linux/debian potato main contrib non-free
>deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US/ potato/non-US main
>
>ftp.freesoftware.com is the Linuxy side of the BSD-aligned ftp.cdrom.com.
>It is about three time as fast as ftp.us.debian.org. You need this speed,
>I'm sure. When you're mostly upgraded, you can point to debian.org again for
>the VERY latest.
>
>--
>i'm determined to stand, whether god  |=|  bedlam@concentric.net
>will deliver me or not. -- bob dylan  |=|  www.cris.com/~bedlam
>

>--
/dev/null

I have found that there are at least several annoying things about the old
slink release as well and have basically been in the habit of running unstable
for my machine. There are at least 100 reasons to upgrade. GNOME and the gimp
are all very much improved. Withe unstable you have all the newer kernels,
also a number of new packages have been added very recently. All are good
reasons to upgrade.