Re: Hey

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 05:04:35PM -0700, Bill or Summer wrote:
> Can anyone help me with recompiling my kernel?  I'm relatively new to
> Linux and am running the Corel V1.0 which is basically Debian.  I've
> read all the man and HOWTO pages and none of the commands specified
> seem to work.  I'm getting errors from "make config," "make xconfig,"
> and "menuconfig" like: "nothing to do," "target not specified," and
> "rules not found."  What I want to do is reconfigure the kernel to
> just get rid of unneeded stuff (i.e. SCSI, RAID, etc) and add a NE2000
> driver to get my network card working.  Who wants to help?  Please
> just give me the steps, at this point I don't care if I have to
> reinstall the system again.  I also did a full install so point me to
> the right directories for source and whatnot.

First of all, a bit of etiquette: please wrap your lines at less than
80 characters.  Thank you.

First, you need to make sure that you have the kernel source.  If not,
try one of the kernel.org mirrors and hunt around until you find a file
like linux-2.2.16.tar.gz.  Then untar it into the /usr/src directory
(you will probably need root privileges to do this) using the command
"tar xvzf linux-2.2.16.tar.gz".  This should create a directory linux/
in /usr/src.  You should then cd into that directory.  Now you should be
able to make menuconfig.

Once you are done configuring to your heart's content, you need to make
dep and make bzImage.  If you have selected any options as modules, you
will also need to make modules and make modules_install.  This will all
take a while, so you can have a cup of coffee.

Next is getting lilo to work.  You should mv arch/i386/boot/bzImage to
/boot/bzImage-2.2.16 and add the following to your /etc/lilo.conf file.

image=/boot/bzImage-2.2.16
	label=newlinux	# can be whatever you want it to be
	read-only
	root=/dev/hda5  # assuming this is true
	# any other things that you want, like append="mem=127M" for
	# example

You should add this directly above the first such entry that already
exists in /etc/lilo.conf.  Then run lilo and reboot.  Don't worry too
much about making mistakes; you can boot the old kernel by typing the
its name (most probably linux) at the lilo boot: prompt.

Hope this helps,
Chris

--
pick, pack, pock, puck: like drops of water in a fountain falling
softly in the brimming bowl.