this is an unsecure session

Dear list:
I have just upgraded from Debian 2.1 to 2.2 by way of apt-get
upgrade-dist, and all was upgraded successfully, as far as I could tell.
I decided to reinitiate the session.  The login prompt with the banner
background appeared, with the disturbing difference that, instead of
saying "Debian GNU/Linux" I got "This is an unsecure session," and I
cannot login now as root or as anyone else.  I have booted from the rescue
disk and mounted my previously installed partition but am at a loss as to
what file to edit to recover my ability to login.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Prof. Roy J. Little
Dept. Chem.
Facultad de Ciencias