Re: exim, sendmail, smail, qmail .... ???

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 09:08:07AM +1000, Richard Lindner wrote
> Would someone explain Debian's logic behind choosing exim over sendmail
> or smail for slink and potato (and I presume woody). The exim web page
> is excruciatingly coy regarding comparisons between it an the other
> mainstream MTAs. What's exims advantage (other than a simplified config)
> that warrants it's use over the other industry standards?

I can only speak for myself, but I like it best.
  - It's better-maintained and more flexible than smail;
  - It's easier to build, modify and debug configurations
    than with sendmail;
  - It doesn't have weird licensing issues like qmail;
  - Exim's bundled documentation is far better than the others.

Additionally, at one stage Eric Allman definitely had his nose
out of joint over Linux; while that may be long past, people
take these things personally and that may have contributed.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au